Care of Your Surgical Leg
If your surgery involved taking a bypass graft from your leg, follow these guidelines:
- Care for your leg incision as described above.
- Avoid crossing your legs because this impairs curculation.
- Avoid sitting in one position or standing for prolonged periods of time.
- Elevate your leg on a stool or coffee table when sitting. You can also lie on a couch and elevate
your legs on the arm of the couch.
- Check your leg daily for swelling. The swelling should decrease when you elevate your leg, but it
might recur when you stand. If you continue to have leg swelling or it becomes worse, notify your doctor.
Elastic Stocking (Ted Hose) - If Prescribed:
- If they were prescribed for you, wear your elastic stockings while you are up for at least
two weeks after discharge. The stockings help decrease swelling, especially if you have a leg incision
- Remove your stockings at bedtime.
- Wash the stockings with mild soap and water, and dry them on a line.
Return to Patient Information